The first priority of Carter BloodCare’s public relations team is to help raise awareness of the requirement for voluntary blood donations, from the community, to save lives.
We understand the power of media images and news stories to encourage people to take action. We agree that working with you is one of the ways that our story can be shared and we want the process to run smoothly for you and for our blood donors and staff.
In the process of newsgathering, we ask that journalists protect the privacy of blood donors who prefer to avoid the camera or interviews. We request that members of the media, covering a blood donation event, adhere to the following guidelines:
- Coordinate with the public relations team to alert Carter BloodCare that you will be onsite at a blood drive, at one of our donation centers, or an administrative location.
- When capturing photos/video at the blood drive, please ask for the supervisor when you arrive. They will guide you in the process of getting what you need.
- We require blood donors to sign a photo/video release form. Supervisors and/or staff will coordinate with donors to obtain permission signature(s); and they will arrange for you to capture the photos/video you need. (If a public relations representative is present, that person will assist you in this process.)
- Additionally, we do not permit photos/video of needles being inserted or removed from the blood donors’ arms. Please help us to encourage blood donation by conceding to this process.
Easy messages to use when talking about blood donation:
- Each blood donation saves three lives.
- More than 1,000 donors are needed each day to keep blood on the shelves of hospitals in North, Central and East Texas.
- Six hundred to 800 patients each day could require a blood transfusion. Many will require more than one unit of blood or blood products.
- One in seven patients admitted to a hospital could receive a blood transfusion.
- There is no substitute for human blood. Thus, there is no substitute for blood donors.
- Regularly scheduled blood donations assure there is already blood on the shelves during a disaster/crisis.
- Make a blood donation by setting up an appointment today.
- You may call or text Carter BloodCare at 800-366-2834.
- Arrange to host a blood drive by emailing BookABloodDrive@carterbloodcare.org.